Reply to topic  [ 21 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
Looking for a new MP3 Player. 
Doesn't have much of a life

Right, as the title says, I'm looking for a new MP3 player. I had an 80Gb iPod Classic, but that's decided it doesn't want to copy music to itself anymore, I'm currently using my iPod Shuffle 1Gb (2nd Gen), and whislt it's ok, it lacks the EQ that I want, and it can't hold all my music.

Basically I don't want another iPod, simple as. What I would like is something that can hold about 50Gb of music, video isn't really needed, but if it comeswith it, so be it :P

Budget wise? About £100-£150 really, unless it's truely justified. Any ideas? Suggestion? Oh, and for the record, I'm using a set of Sennheiser CX400 headphones :D

Cheers,

mars

flickr

Fri May 15, 2009 1:05 pm
I haven't seen my friends in so long

I'm a fan of the Sony MP4 players, (I got the kids one each for Christmas) and I'd recommend checking them out.

John Vella BSc (Hons), PGCE - Still the official forum prankster and crude remarker :P
Sorry :roll:
I'll behave now.
Promise ;)

Fri May 15, 2009 1:27 pm
Profile WWW

John_Vella wrote:
I'm a fan of the Sony MP4 players, (I got the kids one each for Christmas) and I'd recommend checking them out.

As am I, I had their first (?) NW-HD1 and loved it so much I moved onto the NW-A3000... but I don't much like their latest generation that have gone the colour /video / small capacity route but if you can find one of the older HD series, (especially the fifth generation) you'll be laughing... only they've no models with more than 20gb.

Fri May 15, 2009 1:38 pm

Cheers mate, had a look at them, I want the Xseries now, shame about the price :(

I've been having a quick look, I rememberd Creative did an MP3 player range. Found this, I was thinking about the 32Gb model, only £150, so it's fits my spec as well as it could really. Why is it so hard to find an MP3 player with a built in HDD? I want to carry ALL my music!! Lol.

Any other suggestions? Oooohh!! What about Sansa? Or whatever they're called?

flickr

Fri May 15, 2009 1:39 pm

snowyweston wrote:
John_Vella wrote:

As am I, I had their first (?) NW-HD1 and loved it so much I moved onto the NW-A3000... but I don't much like their latest generation that have gone the colour /video / small capacity route but if you can find one of the older HD series, (especially the fifth generation) you'll be laughing... only they've no models with more than 20gb.

Cheers Snowy, I saw a few Sony one a few years ago, it looked like a pebble, and you couldn't see the screen unless the player was turned on. God, that was like 4-5 years ago!! I'll have a look :P

flickr

Fri May 15, 2009 2:05 pm
Spends far too much time on here

HDD players seem to have fallen out of fashion a little. Hardly surprising as you can get 32gig SSDs now. I have 160gig of music and a large proportion is in FLAC, so I'm screwed either way.

Fri May 15, 2009 2:33 pm

mars-bar-man wrote:
Cheers Snowy, I saw a few Sony one a few years ago, it looked like a pebble, and you couldn't see the screen unless the player was turned on. God, that was like 4-5 years ago!! I'll have a look :P
That was the NW-A1000 & NW-A3000 - I've the violet one: Image

:D

but this was the precursor to all things ipod:

I have it still - but it's screen no longer works - so it's nothing but a uber-sexy ipod shuffle - a remote-control headphone wire would cure that but they cost the earth and now I'm wondering if I could it's the HD for something else?

Fri May 15, 2009 3:33 pm

snowyweston wrote:
mars-bar-man wrote:
That was the NW-A1000 & NW-A3000

That's the one!!

Someone on another forum linked me to this, looks oooh so tempting, I really can't decide now, I had a look at Cowon, but for the decent looking players it was £170 ish, and yeah, I could probably stretch to it, but I'm a student, I need money for other stuff, so I had to back out of that one.

flickr

Fri May 15, 2009 3:46 pm
I haven't seen my friends in so long

mars-bar-man wrote:
Any other suggestions? Oooohh!! What about Sansa? Or whatever they're called?

I think you'll find that it's spelt SanTa and he's not due for another 7 months or so

;) :lol: :roll:

John Vella BSc (Hons), PGCE - Still the official forum prankster and crude remarker :P
Sorry :roll:
I'll behave now.
Promise ;)

Fri May 15, 2009 4:26 pm
Profile WWW
Spends far too much time on here

Well, we’re giving you a great chance to get your hands on this superb top-selling media player for a massive £20 saving (newsletter subscribers only!)

We’ve still got stocks left of the original D2 16GB and this really is your best chance of getting into the incredible Cowon sound for a massive saving.

16GB capacity, touch screen, SD card expansion, FM radio, movie playback, widgets, 52 hour battery life and simply incredible sound! Still (at 74mW) the most powerful headphone amp available in any portable media player.

How can you get this saving? Simple – enter the code 20offD2 at checkout when you buy the D2 16GB here (click) and get it for the stunning price of £135.62!

This promotion will run for one week - until Friday 22nd May 2009 - get in quick!

http://www.advancedmp3players.co.uk/shop/MP3_Players.1/Cowon_iAudio.15/IAUDIOD216GB-BLACK/Cowon_iAudio_D2_16GB_MP3_Player.3251.html

I can vouch for this thing. Not as sexy as a Sony and the touch screen GUI is not the easiest. But the quality is immense and it plays everything, even FLAC.

Sat May 16, 2009 8:25 am

Cheers for the help guys, but I don't have to spend out on money anymore, my iFail, sorry, iPod has decided that being confined to a draw for a few months is enough torture and has decided to work, just as if it was new....stupid technology...

flickr

Sat May 16, 2009 8:11 pm
Occasionally has a life

mars-bar-man wrote:
Cheers for the help guys, but I don't have to spend out on money anymore, my iFail, sorry, iPod has decided that being confined to a draw for a few months is enough torture and has decided to work, just as if it was new....stupid technology...

Oh, my old one did that just to taunt me. It lasted another month or so, then completely bit the dust. Even though it was bricked, they still gave me a discount on my new one at the Apple store when I traded it in.

Like so many times before and feeling a bead of sweat form on his sun-beaten brow, the dog launched himself upwards, jaws open, full of expectation edged with uncertainty, to retrieve the flying disc from it's azimuth; no dog had done this before.

Mon May 18, 2009 11:26 am

Sony are ok but the software is shocking!

Mon May 18, 2009 12:29 pm
What's a life?

Geiseric wrote:

Rarely have I seen someone's enthusiasm for a product do an about face so quickly than with the Sony NWA-straightouttacompton-A3000-shiny-pebble and it's god awful software.
House mate got one and it was returned for a refund after about a month. I wouldn't recommend them to anyone I liked.

Charlie Brooker wrote:
Windows works for me. But I'd never recommend it to anybody else, ever.

Mon May 18, 2009 1:35 pm

ProfessorF wrote:
Geiseric wrote:

Rarely have I seen someone's enthusiasm for a product do an about face so quickly than with the Sony NWA-straightouttacompton-A3000-shiny-pebble and it's god awful software.
House mate got one and it was returned for a refund after about a month. I wouldn't recommend them to anyone I liked.

Meh - I don't find SonicStage annoying at all.

Mon May 18, 2009 5:31 pm
Reply to topic   [ 21 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next