Reply to topic  [ 48 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Any Turntable users? 
Has a life

I'm still running a Linn Sondek, any other users or even better, Flat Earthers about ?

Fri Apr 24, 2009 2:38 pm
Occasionally has a life

I used to have a linn axis but it got mangled in a move and i didn't replace it. Still got all the nice shiny black discs though.
I showed one to my 5 year old the other day and he had no idea what it was!
Before the linn I had a thorens td-something-or-other.
Always wanted a mitchell gyrodek though ..

Didge

Fri Apr 24, 2009 3:09 pm

I have a Technics direct drive thing I inherited from a friend. It's collecting dust waiting for the free time I never have to digitise my vinyl collection.

Fri Apr 24, 2009 3:38 pm
Spends far too much time on here

HeatherKay wrote:
I have a Technics direct drive thing I inherited from a friend. It's collecting dust waiting for the free time I never have to digitise my vinyl collection.

Want to offload it Heather? ;)

Fri Apr 24, 2009 4:02 pm
Profile WWW
Has a life

ditto to Heather

Well almost, after spending the best part of a day off doing one album, recording, transcoding, cleaning up audio, splitting into tracks etc. I decided it was cheaper to buy and rip CDs (or go to some dodgy Russian site and d/l the album for a dolar :) ).

I'm now saving turntable and vinyl for ny pension!

Incidenly, the youngest daughter's boyfriend has 4 decks which he uses for mixing and playing his jungly music stuff on so not all vinylphiles are into Yes or Mozart :D

Sometimes I feel so weak I just want to explode

Fri Apr 24, 2009 4:03 pm

Actually, no. I like the idea I have analogue audio kit laying about. And I always wanted a DD turntable, but could never afford one!

So, sorry, chaps, it's staying as a dust magnet for a bit longer. 8-)

Fri Apr 24, 2009 4:06 pm
Has a life

I have just got my Revolver Redwood turn table down from my parents loft and I am listening to some of my old 12"'s.

I'm flogging all my old records and old stereo kit as I only really use my surround sound kit now.

Can we put images on here yet.

Last edited by CrapBag7 on Fri Apr 24, 2009 6:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Fri Apr 24, 2009 4:31 pm
Spends far too much time on here

Would love one, but just don't have the money to do it properly.

I suspect after the initial investment that it is pretty cheap, because you seem to be able to pick up vinyl for peanuts these days.

Fri Apr 24, 2009 5:27 pm
Profile WWW
Has a life

Good to see the old analogue stuff is still in use. I have a second system with a CJ Walker CJ55 deck through a Pro-Ject Phono Box with a quite cheap Audio Technica Cartridge and it still sounds awesome.

Still have a load of Vinyl to archive, tried one of those USB turntables but it was so badly [LIFTED] it was incredible. I found that the best way for me to get it on to the PC, although its slow it to record from the onto my Marantz CD Burner separate and then rip that into FLAC on the PC, so damn time consuming though.

I still get a buzz out of making people listen to vinyl on the Linn and sometimes you have to scrape their jaw off the floor ! No CD comes close.

Fri Apr 24, 2009 6:25 pm
Occasionally has a life

HeatherKay wrote:

Same here Heather :) To be exact i have a Technics SL-DL1 which is still working though not used as much as i would like too :oops:

If you have problems with it(arm not moving across)check out the small belt on the drive.They have a tendency to harden over the years and stick as a result.

A nice wee site for vinyl lovers & help http://www.vinylengine.com/news.shtml .Have found it very useful 8-)

yours wecrookie :shock:

Fri Apr 24, 2009 6:48 pm
Occasionally has a life

Got one attached to an old technics separates unit with is my fathers. Unfortunately I don't know to much about audio equipment and it doesn't get used that much. Just for a few rare metal vinyl's that aren't available on CD.

Hobgob.

Nietzsche wrote:
Insanity in individuals is something rare - but in groups, parties, nations and epochs, it is the rule.

Fri Apr 24, 2009 6:54 pm
Doesn't have much of a life

Well I got a Techics SL-Q 210

Gaming's Elder Statesman & Evil Consultant

Fri Apr 24, 2009 6:57 pm

Mine's an SL-1500 - must be all of 25 years old. I run it through a preamp, into a Roland digitising box, then into the Mac and Audacity Via USB. The Mac as an optical input, too, so occasionally I will run an opto cable from the digitising box.

As you actually have to play the record in real time, it can be a slow process. Horrors! :lol:

I wince at some of the older tracks where I know there's a scratch or something, and then spend hours painstakingly removing them in software. One day, I might spend a week or so just doing digitising. The problem is, real life always gets in between, and you end up with no time left at all. The same thing's hitting the plan to scan and archive a couple of decades' worth of photos, too.

*sigh*

Fri Apr 24, 2009 7:02 pm
Occasionally has a life

HeatherKay wrote:
Mine's an SL-1500 - must be all of 25 years old. I run it through a preamp, into a Roland digitising box, then into the Mac and Audacity Via USB. The Mac as an optical input, too, so occasionally I will run an opto cable from the digitising box.

As you actually have to play the record in real time, it can be a slow process. Horrors! :lol:

I wince at some of the older tracks where I know there's a scratch or something, and then spend hours painstakingly removing them in software. One day, I might spend a week or so just doing digitising. The problem is, real life always gets in between, and you end up with no time left at all. The same thing's hitting the plan to scan and archive a couple of decades' worth of photos, too.

*sigh*

Still have the receipt for mine :oops: its dated 10/3/84.... cost the princely sum of £164.95 :o that was over a weeks wages for me at that time......

That link has some great tried & tested ways for cleaning vinyl that can help get rid off some scratch noise and tips on digitising vinyl.

yours wecrookie :shock:

Fri Apr 24, 2009 7:23 pm

wecrookie wrote:
That link has some great tried & tested ways for cleaning vinyl that can help get rid off some scratch noise and tips on digitising vinyl.

Excellent - I'll check it.
:)

Fri Apr 24, 2009 7:25 pm
Reply to topic   [ 48 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next