Reply to topic  [ 48 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Any Turntable users? 
Occasionally has a life

I still have my Rega Planar 3. It was one amazingly good deck. I very occasionally put on an LP.

Does anyone remember the classic Pioneer PL12D ? Had one of those before the Rega.

Wed Apr 29, 2009 2:18 pm
Occasionally has a life

PaulKey wrote:
I still have my Rega Planar 3. It was one amazingly good deck. I very occasionally put on an LP.

Does anyone remember the classic Pioneer PL12D ? Had one of those before the Rega.

PL12D - Cor that takes me back a few years. 1972 or thereabouts as I recall. Looked nice was pretty solid and doubled-up for use in Discos. AAAAhh youth.......

Wed Apr 29, 2009 4:02 pm
Doesn't have much of a life

Location: 3959 miles from the centre of the Earth - give or take a bit
There are some nice turntables here.

Thu Apr 30, 2009 7:18 am
Has a life

A little off topic *slightly* but I use:

Twin Technics 1210's with a Pioneer DJM600 linked to a Gemini stage age 2x150W with twin 115W Peavey speakers

;0

Mike

Thu Apr 30, 2009 3:16 pm
Site Admin

bangingtechno wrote:
A little off topic *slightly* but I use:

Twin Technics 1210's with a Pioneer DJM600 linked to a Gemini stage age 2x150W with twin 115W Peavey speakers

;0

Mike

Stantons or Ortofons?

I've only ever done it with a chicken so far, but if required I wouldn't have any problems doing it with other animals at all.

Thu Apr 30, 2009 3:17 pm
Profile WWW
Has a life

Ortofon Scratch, the needle gives fantastic grip and a higher output than most of the other needles, even though I Play techno/NuNRG mainly. 7mV / 4-5mV to the other ones in the series.

I did use OF Nightclubs, but to be honest they're biased towards the bass frequencies and that's not ideal when playing funky or mid-lead techno

Thu Apr 30, 2009 3:23 pm
Site Admin

Used to have nightclubs on my 1210's back in the day.
Not cheap but worked for D&B (handy when I worked at a DJ shop)

I've only ever done it with a chicken so far, but if required I wouldn't have any problems doing it with other animals at all.

Thu Apr 30, 2009 3:38 pm
Profile WWW
Has a life

saspro wrote:
handy when I worked at a DJ shop)

Gratz!

Ooo D+B vs Tehno at your place on the meetup then? :P

Thu Apr 30, 2009 3:41 pm
Site Admin

bangingtechno wrote:
saspro wrote:

Gratz!

That was about 10 years ago (damn I'm starting to feel old).
Although I do know a few good club nights for banging house & techno I can get guestlist at.

Thu Apr 30, 2009 3:45 pm
Profile WWW
Has a life

saspro wrote:
bangingtechno wrote:
saspro wrote:

Gratz!

That was about 10 years ago (damn I'm starting to feel old).
Although I do know a few good club nights for banging house & techno I can get guestlist at.

I can get us guestlist for anywhwere the Liberators or the Stay up Forever Collective are playing as well - good friends of ours, they played many, many club nights up here!

Do they still do the Brixton Academy, or is that no longer on the cards

Thu Apr 30, 2009 3:48 pm
Site Admin

Haven't been to Brixton for a while since Nowhere moved to Vauxhall

Thu Apr 30, 2009 4:08 pm
Profile WWW

I have a mid-priced Project turntable for the sole purpose of digitising my collection of vinyl that never made it to commercial CD release.

Personally I think that there is a lot of mis-placed nostalgia about vinyl. By the late 70s and 80s buying vinyl was a complete nightmare unless you were either a Pink Floyd or classical music fan. Most pop and rock releases came on increasingly thinner slices of crap-encrusted plastic. Records which were full of pops and clicks before they'd even been played, were dished or pressed off-centre, and sometimes all three at once! These days vinyl is only any good because it has to compete with CDs and other digitised music. For me CDs couldn't become mainstream quick enough. I'll take a slight difference in audio fidelity over the potential to render the music unlistenable by simply putting the medium back in its packaging any day.

Fri May 01, 2009 8:47 am
Profile WWW

Rega Planar 2 - bought decades ago :shock: Lovely warm sound. Originally hooked up to a NAD 3020 amp and MS 45Ti speakers. I was young then.....

Al

Thu May 07, 2009 3:06 pm
Occasionally has a life

BigRedX wrote:
I have a mid-priced Project turntable for the sole purpose of digitising my collection of vinyl that never made it to commercial CD release.

Personally I think that there is a lot of mis-placed nostalgia about vinyl. By the late 70s and 80s buying vinyl was a complete nightmare unless you were either a Pink Floyd or classical music fan. Most pop and rock releases came on increasingly thinner slices of crap-encrusted plastic. Records which were full of pops and clicks before they'd even been played, were dished or pressed off-centre, and sometimes all three at once! These days vinyl is only any good because it has to compete with CDs and other digitised music. For me CDs couldn't become mainstream quick enough. I'll take a slight difference in audio fidelity over the potential to render the music unlistenable by simply putting the medium back in its packaging any day.

I can't totally disagree, though your strictures about the poor vinyl are mainly true of "Pop" albums. The problem with lots of Cds, of music from that era, including those that are allegedly "remastered" is that the original sound quality was apparently so poor. Honking base, scratchy treble and an overwhelmingly nasty forward, harsh and hard mid-range ruin numerous recordings from, the early seventies through 'til the eighties (in my opinion...). Without wishing to come over all "audiophile" what's missing is "openness" - a sense of space. Joan Armatrading's discs from this era (early eighties) are largely immaculately done on both vinyl and CD, so it was a matter of taste, not technology....

Mon May 11, 2009 3:57 pm
Has a life

ethelredalready wrote:
BigRedX wrote:

I can't totally disagree, though your strictures about the poor vinyl are mainly true of "Pop" albums. The problem with lots of Cds, of music from that era, including those that are allegedly "remastered" is that the original sound quality was apparently so poor. Honking base, scratchy treble and an overwhelmingly nasty forward, harsh and hard mid-range ruin numerous recordings from, the early seventies through 'til the eighties (in my opinion...). Without wishing to come over all "audiophile" what's missing is "openness" - a sense of space. Joan Armatrading's discs from this era (early eighties) are largely immaculately done on both vinyl and CD, so it was a matter of taste, not technology....

Agreed.

Sun Jun 28, 2009 11:22 am
Reply to topic   [ 48 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next