Reply to topic  [ 13 posts ] 
2.1 HiFi amp? 
Occasionally has a life

Really simply, I'd love to get hold of a decent stereo amp, with a sub out as well. It seems that all AV amps are 5.1 or above, which doesn't interest me (small lounge) and all decent stereo amps don't have a sub out.

Does anyone know of an amp that fits what I need? Richer Sounds would be ideal as there are no decent stereo stores down here, apart from Richer in Plymouth. All suggestions welcome :)

My Flickr
WWFSMD?

Thu Apr 30, 2009 4:50 pm
Profile WWW
Doesn't have much of a life

Location: 3959 miles from the centre of the Earth - give or take a bit
I'd forget about the sub and just get a decent stereo amplifier. Mine doesn't have a subwoofer but it still sounds excellent.

Thu Apr 30, 2009 5:11 pm

What you're looking for really depends on the sub you intend to use... You don't actually need a dedicated sub-out to run a sub, most active subs will accept a "high level" feed - ie. from speaker terminals - although it is not the preferred option. There is also the option to use, (if you're not already) the "Tape Out" of [u]any[/i] normal integrated 2 channel amp - all you need is buy a 'Y' lead to run to your sub - but both of these options require the sub you're using to remove the parts of the full range it doesn't want (which is fairly common with all)

If you are thinking of running a passive sub then you will only need either: an amp with additional speaker outputs or an amp that can drive down to combined impedance of your sub+speakers wired in parrallel - but unless your sub has the exact same sensitivity as your full-rangers you'll not be able to get your levels controlled.

Hope this helps / makes sense.

EDITS IN BLUE

Last edited by snowyweston on Thu Apr 30, 2009 7:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Thu Apr 30, 2009 5:25 pm

Could you elaborate on that Snowy since i believe i'm in a similar situation to F_A_F

For example, i'm currently running a set of computer speakers for my TV/HTPC/360 etc. and have them currently connected to the TV Audio Out since this appears to be the only way to get sound working from all the aforementioned boxes.

However ideally i'd like to remove the dependancy on the TV as a throughput for convenience.

I'm quite new as to the whole AV scene as such and it's just for a small apartment so a 5.1 amp/receiver isn't needed.

Was wondering if there was a product that could do this? And whether or not there'd be any point in doing this ?

My speakers are Altec Lansing MX5021's which are a 2.1 set and run speaker cable from the sub to the satellites.

Thanks =].

Thu Apr 30, 2009 6:21 pm

vdbswong wrote:
Could you elaborate on that Snowy since i believe i'm in a similar situation to F_A_F
No I'd say yours is an entirely different kind of enquiry - go on start a new thread, you know you want to... ;)

Thu Apr 30, 2009 7:01 pm

In my listening experience subs always sound very artificial even on 5.1 or 7.1 . For stereo if you have a decent amp and speakers you'll be able to get plenty of real bass with no need for a sub.

Fri May 01, 2009 8:36 am
Profile WWW
Spends far too much time on here

Kev, you already got speakers? What's the budget? What do you watch/listen to mostly?

Fri May 01, 2009 9:08 am

BigRedX wrote:
In my listening experience subs always sound very artificial even on 5.1 or 7.1 . For stereo if you have a decent amp and speakers you'll be able to get plenty of real bass with no need for a sub.

That's a common reaction to poorly configured / unmatached partnering equipment - yes a decent amp with decent speakers can do the job - but very very few speakers have the downward reach that external subs can offer - and those that do will be priced well beyond most mortals.

Fri May 01, 2009 12:09 pm
Site Admin

snowyweston wrote:
BigRedX wrote:

That's a common reaction to poorly configured / unmatached partnering equipment - yes a decent amp with decent speakers can do the job - but very very few speakers have the downward reach that external subs can offer - and those that do will be priced well beyond most mortals.

True, my sub hardly kicks in during average viewing etc but when there's the LF information coded in it sounds great.
Really add atmosphere and depth.

Just sticking a sub in and turning it up so it's always doing something spoils the entire beauty of properly setting up a system.

I've only ever done it with a chicken so far, but if required I wouldn't have any problems doing it with other animals at all.

Fri May 01, 2009 12:17 pm
Profile WWW
Occasionally has a life

okenobi wrote:
Kev, you already got speakers? What's the budget? What do you watch/listen to mostly?

No speakers atm apart from these which I haven't used in a year as one has developed a nasty buzzing when bass thumps....sounds like a torn cone but it isn't.

Anyway I'll probably find some cheapish ones rfom Richer, not too concerned as I don't play them loud. All I want is something to make films/games/MP3's sound a little better in the lounge. I guess I can live without a sub :)

My Flickr
WWFSMD?

Fri May 01, 2009 12:29 pm
Profile WWW

F_A_F wrote:
No speakers atm apart from these which I haven't used in a year as one has developed a nasty buzzing when bass thumps....sounds like a torn cone but it isn't.
Before spending any money on anything new try and troubleshoot the buzzing - connect one up at a time, and play sweeps & tones (if you have them - otherwise use music you know well) - and listen out for where the buzzing emits from - it could be something as simple as a loosen driver (tighten all the screws you can get at - and do this periodically) - or shaken-about cabinetry which may need re-gluing/fixing (front baffles are usually the culprit here) - it could also be cone rubbage - push the driver in slowly but firmly as if to mimmick it's movement during playback - it should glide without steppnig,jolting or rubbing sounds - if it does any of those, you've a driver that once was asked to go further than it ever wanted to - and will need expensive realignment (not really worth it unless your drivers cost £200+ eac)

F_A_F wrote:
Anyway I'll probably find some cheapish ones rfom Richer, not too concerned as I don't play them loud. All I want is something to make films/games/MP3's sound a little better in the lounge. I guess I can live without a sub :)
Being able to play loud should have little bearing on any purchase really (unless that's the primary requirement) - quality first and foremost - which is where you may find you can make your money go further by having a sub - a well paired combo of bookshelves w/ a competent sub will more often than not often afford you greater control, deeper bass, and ask less of your existing (or new) amplification... thus generally improve on the sound quality of a pair of similarly priced floorstanders.

For consideration:
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/B-W-Solid-Solutio ... 7C294%3A50
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/REL-Q100E-ACTIVE- ... 7C294%3A50

http://www.bkelec.com/HiFi/Sub_Woofers/Gemini.htm
http://www.bkelec.com/HiFi/Sub_Woofers/XLS200-DF.htm

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Superb-Castle-Aco ... 7C294%3A50
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Philips-Bookshelf ... 7C294%3A50
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Tannoy-Fusion-Spe ... 7C294%3A50

http://www.richersounds.com/showproduct ... -CUSTOM-F1
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Tannoy-Mercury-F1 ... 7C294%3A50

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Tannoy-R1-bookshe ... 7C294%3A50

Fri May 01, 2009 12:57 pm
Spends far too much time on here

I think you'd be amazed by what standmount speakers and a reasonable amp will do for you. I have an old Rotel RA-931 amp and Acoustic Energy Aegis Evo 1 speakers with QED cable and there's plenty of weight, punch and deft musically for everything from d&b to jazz, hip-hop to classical. If my room wasn't such a state at the moment, I'd offer for you to have a listen!

Sat May 02, 2009 9:06 am
Occasionally has a life

I too have a Rotel Amp from about 1977'ish, which I can't use as it's about 2mm too wide for the TV cabinet. It might end up under the monitor on the PC desk if I ever decide to play music in the spare room, I haven't decided yet....

My Flickr
WWFSMD?

Sun May 03, 2009 4:17 pm
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 13 posts ]