Reply to topic  [ 7 posts ] 
AirPlay streaming from a turntable 
What's a life?

Looks like I may be getting a turntable. I know someone who has one going begging, and we're likely to swap gear. He'll get one of my 3D cameras (I bought a more recent model a year or so ago).

The turntable has a preamp, so could be self-contained if needed. However, I'm wondering how much faff it would be to us AirPlay or BlueTooth to stream to my main amp. Most of what I have read on this seems to require an intermediary Mac to do the actual streaming, but as I have an RPi Zero, I am wondering if it is possible that I could pass that into service. The main reason for asking is that I have run out of sockets in the "entrainment" part of the room, so the turntable will need to be elsewhere, so not easily wired in.

I do have a spare set of speakers from a previous TV which came with surround sound, so the possibility is that I could just chuck the whole lot in a cabinet and make a modern radiogram.

Anyone here done anything along these lines?

your posts are just combo chains of funny win

I’m on Twitter, tweeting away... My Photos Random Avatar Explanation

Fri Mar 18, 2016 8:36 pm
Site Admin

I've set it up before with things plugged in to a small pc or Mac then used tuneblade or airfoil to send it to an AirPlay device. This let me put the media server at work in the server room but have the audio stream to a pi (running shareplay) in the support office.
The pi would require come sort of capture device to get audio in.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I've only ever done it with a chicken so far, but if required I wouldn't have any problems doing it with other animals at all.

Sat Mar 19, 2016 9:05 am
Profile WWW
What's a life?

saspro wrote:
I've set it up before with things plugged in to a small pc or Mac then used tuneblade or airfoil to send it to an AirPlay device. This let me put the media server at work in the server room but have the audio stream to a pi (running shareplay) in the support office.
The pi would require come sort of capture device to get audio in.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

This is pretty much the rig-up I've been reading about. I have a couple of USB line in devices (from Griffin Tech.) so that's not really a problem. I wasn't wanting to use a spare Mac as that's just overkill, but a Pi would be a low power thing, and the Zero is tiny, so even with a WiFi component hooked up to it, it'll fit in a small space. The Pi would need to transmit to the Apple TV that's connected to my main amp.

Plenty of time to think about this. I'm not sure when we're arranging the exchange yet, but it will be helpful to know what's needed in advance.

Sat Mar 19, 2016 6:28 pm
Site Admin

The pi 3 has wifi built in if you didn't want to use the zero. Add the gpio interfaces you can get and it'd be tiny.

I've only ever done it with a chicken so far, but if required I wouldn't have any problems doing it with other animals at all.

Sat Mar 19, 2016 8:23 pm
Profile WWW
What's a life?

Built in WiFi is a draw to the Pi3. It would keep it neater as well.

Sun Mar 20, 2016 11:24 am
Site Admin

Raspberry Pi 3, either a USB audio care or the cirrus module and a bit of code and you should be set
http://raspberrypi.stackexchange.com/qu ... lay-device

Mon Mar 21, 2016 9:17 am
Profile WWW
What's a life?

While I thought this would be the way to go, it turns out that the connector leads from the turntable and the removal of an old Mac Mini from the “entertainment system” means that I don’t need to do this now. Turntable wired in, and sounds amazing. Even the old LPs I’ve been playing seem to have little or no hiss or pops (a far cry from pas experiences with record players).

The G4 Mac Mini was doing PVR stuff, but the software I use is flaky and the programme guide no longer works, so the PS3 is doing that job alone now.

Thu May 12, 2016 2:34 pm
Reply to topic   [ 7 posts ]