Reply to topic  [ 7 posts ] 
Curved TVs 
What's a life?

I've been eyeing up TVs with the aim of buying one around Christmas time when I've got some money saved up. I'd originally ignored curved TVs as gimmicky and with limited viewing angles. We're debating where to stick the sofas and TV but it's liked the TV will go in a corner and the sofas will be perpendicular to each other (and along the walls) but facing 45* to the TV.

But then we went to John Lewis over the weekend for other bits'n'pieces and saw some TVs. The curvature isn't as severe as I first feared. The screens looked good but I guess this is down to how they're set up in store.

I was leaning towards Samsung UHD irrespective of whether straight or curved.

Any thoughts?

Mon May 18, 2015 9:32 am
Site Admin

Curved only really works if you're head on to the screen and the screen is big enough to to completely fill your vision.

If you're putting it in the corner and not looking at it straight on then you can ignore 4k & just get a nice 1080p screen & soundbar (as 5.1 isn't going to work for you with that setup).

I've only ever done it with a chicken so far, but if required I wouldn't have any problems doing it with other animals at all.

Mon May 18, 2015 12:20 pm
Profile WWW
What's a life?

Thanks. This was the layout of the room we were thinking about:

On the left is proposed layout, on the right is current layout

I didn't think curved screens would have benefitted me, at least not downstairs. Any reason why 4K isn't worth it?

We were looking at a TV for the master bedroom. This would be wall mounted and directly opposite the bed so still wouldn't be immersive. Stick to 1080p LCD here too?

Mon May 18, 2015 12:54 pm
Site Admin

4k is only really worth it if you can go for a "head on" view and back it up with a fully on audio setup.

If you could mount the TV over the fireplace so at least one sofa was head on then it might be worth it.

For the bedroom, 1080p is fine.
If you're in awake in bed & watching anything that needs 4k to be improved, you're doing it wrong ;)

I've only ever done it with a chicken so far, but if required I wouldn't have any problems doing it with other animals at all.

Mon May 18, 2015 1:11 pm
Profile WWW
What's a life?

I reckon I could get some decent audio speakers for the living room but the room is a bit small (4mx3m) so I don't know if I should stick to a soundbar + subwoofer for now.

Have never been a fan of TVs placed above fireplaces - it forces you to look up rather than down so increases neck strain. Potentially in the future, we may decide to extend the front wall of the house so it sits in line with the porch. At this point, we might be able to move the TV to sit in front of the window and then at least one sofa is head on.

Should I stick with Samsung for LED LCD TVs or look elsewhere?

Mon May 18, 2015 1:39 pm
Site Admin

The Samsung screens aren't bad at all.

You just have to turn off all the settings they enable and tune it manually

Mon May 18, 2015 2:57 pm
Profile WWW
I haven't seen my friends in so long

Richer Sounds have a selection of 4K TVs with free soundbar and 6 months Netflix UHD.

Mon May 18, 2015 6:47 pm
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 7 posts ]