Reply to topic  [ 77 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Car audio - the fun part 
Spends far too much time on here

By the way, I forgot to mention it but I sent an email off to CarAudioSecurity.

At the time I was considering getting the GTO-4000 amp, which CarAudioDirect don't stock.

CAD were 6quid cheaper for the fronts, and exactly the same price for the sub.

Anyway I sent CAS an email, saying that I was going to purchase the sub and amp from them, would they be interested in matching the CAD price on the fronts so I could get it all from them rather than using two suppliers.

They replied within 10 minutes saying yes they will match the price. The following day (when I picked up the email), I replied asking how I would go about making the order (whether I would need a promotional code or something like that) and again, they replied really quickly (about half an hour later) saying that I should phone a number and ask for a particular guy.

I was very impressed, so although I will no longer be buying the amp from them I will get the sub, amp, and wiring from them (unless it works out cheaper at CAD and they won't price match). :D

Just thought I'd pass on my good shopping experience/recommendation! :)

Fri Jul 24, 2009 5:53 pm
Site Admin

This is the minimum you should look at for wiring. You'll also need some extra cable & a splitter as you have 2 amps

I've only ever done it with a chicken so far, but if required I wouldn't have any problems doing it with other animals at all.

Sat Jul 25, 2009 8:07 am
Profile WWW

Oof that's a bit more than I was expecting. That's more than my speakers! :lol:

Oh well, it will have to be done I suppose! :)

By the way, I fitted my new head unit yesterday. While I was running the iPod cable to the glove box, and running an RCA round and under the dash to leave under the passenger seat for the front amp I discovered three blocks of electrics behind the glove box that are just cable-tied together aren't being used. I assume it's the electrics for features that this car didn't have, but were available as an upgrade. I'm pleased they're there anyway, it should make fitting a 12v socket a little easier! :)

Sun Jul 26, 2009 9:36 am
Doesn't have much of a life

Really can't be arsed to read the entire thread...

Have you got a sub sorted yet?

I've got a 17" sub lying around somewhere. Sound EPIC. It's ported too, so excellent for DnB. i'm pretty sure it's up to 750W. Can't be sure unless I check the box.

Also got two 8" Subs in a ported box. Don't really know details on those. Obviously a lot smaller than the monster wok of a sub.

And got a spare Fli amp.

I'll give you details if you're interested >.<

Mon Jul 27, 2009 9:00 pm
Profile WWW

Sorry Angelic, you're just a couple of days late! :|

I have bought two amps off Veato, and a 12" sub new.

Hopefully snowy will be designing me a box, which I will make myself. :)

Mon Jul 27, 2009 9:43 pm

Ah no worries.

(Damned graduation/birthday/housemates graduation/opera in the park/party in the park! *shakes fist*)

I always found that 12" was too small for my likings, but then again my "bass-heavy" is somewhere in the Whale's vocal range.

Mon Jul 27, 2009 9:46 pm
Profile WWW

Nick wrote:
Oof that's a bit more than I was expecting. That's more than my speakers! :lol:

Oh well, it will have to be done I suppose! :)
I'm sure you don't need me to tell you (but I will anyway :P ) that it's well worth your while spending that little extra on cabling in the first instance as you'll only have to go through the hassle of having to rip out & ditch any cheap, thin-cabled gear you might buy when you want to upgrade (at additional cost) to something more substantial later on when you get the hankering for juice-gobbling kit - so do it right, first time. I'm not saying you should be thinking 0 gauge power, earth & sub-feeds but what Sas has suggested there (4 gauge) will do you nicely... although I'd ask whichever shop you're buying from if they've an alike unbranded offering...

Nick wrote:
Hopefully snowy will be designing me a box, which I will make myself. :)
Well I've designed the theoretical part already - I'm still waiting on the measurements of your boot! :roll: ;)

....photos would be useful also, along with preferences for placement (in relationhip to your other boot uses, spare wheel access, etc.... and the size of your amps (when you get them) would be useful also, as you'l need to site them somewhere.

Angelic wrote:

....I always found that 12" was too small for my likings, but then again my "bass-heavy" is somewhere in the Whale's vocal range.

You really should - you might learn a thing or two; although yes I'm an advocate of out and out displacement, driver size has very little bearing on it's depth reaching abilities - moreso in a car where (unless you're prepared to run a walled system) the enclosures for massive drivers need to be unfeasibly exponentially massive to reproduce the lower bottom octaves - whereas I have a 10" driver unused under my bed that can reach 18Hz in a mere 20L enclosure. :P ;)

Tue Jul 28, 2009 11:02 pm

snowyweston wrote:

Angelic wrote:

....I always found that 12" was too small for my likings, but then again my "bass-heavy" is somewhere in the Whale's vocal range.

You really should - you might learn a thing or two; although yes I'm an advocate of out and out displacement, driver size has very little bearing on it's depth reaching abilities - moreso in a car where (unless you're prepared to run a walled system) the enclosures for massive drivers need to be unfeasibly exponentially massive to reproduce the lower bottom octaves - whereas I have a 10" driver unused under my bed that can reach 18Hz in a mere 20L enclosure. :P ;)

Uh... I'll take your word for it ;-)

I don't really know about the science behind it all. It's probably true that you could get the same sound out of a smaller sub in something as small as a car, but for most of last year I was using the wok-sized sub in my front room for parties as a second sub. Made a hell of a difference, and didn't even bother hooking up the smaller ones.

Wed Jul 29, 2009 1:49 am
Profile WWW

Your neighbours must have loved you! :lol: I've got new neighbours this year - gunna try the smooth man treatment. Go round with a little something and give them all of our phone numbers. "If we are annoying you, ring US. NOT the police/environmental health". :roll:

Oh yeah, boot measurements! :oops:

I'll get on it! :D

p.s. my amps arrived today (thanks veato). :D

Wed Jul 29, 2009 9:07 am

Neighbours were just as bad, but sadly didn't have the tech know-how to produce bowel-churning bass. Either way though we invited each other, so it's fair game >.<

Wed Jul 29, 2009 12:20 pm
Profile WWW

Good news!

I just got back from work and found a delivery had been left for me. I've now got both amps and all the speakers.

Just need some cable! I'm going to halfords in a bit anyway to get an arial adapter so I'll see what they offer and at what price and tomorrow or Friday I'll check a local independant too. :)

I couldn't help but think that the stuff on CAD was a bit expensive so I'm hoping to find something just as good for less. Hopefully I don't end up findng that it costs more locally! :lol:

Wed Jul 29, 2009 5:15 pm
What's a life?

Don't buy from Halfrauds! It'll cost you far more than practically anywhere else.

Charlie Brooker wrote:
Windows works for me. But I'd never recommend it to anybody else, ever.

Wed Jul 29, 2009 5:16 pm

ProfessorF wrote:
Don't buy from Halfrauds! It'll cost you far more than practically anywhere else.
Not entirely true (about 80% there) - don't ever underestimate the buying power of the big boys... for things like cabling, (where core-gauge is king) I'd even look at popping into Maplins.

Just be sure you get the right fuse(s) for your amps - hopefully Veato's furnished you with such information already (if not provided the original or a link to their manuals). ;)

Last edited by snowyweston on Wed Jul 29, 2009 6:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Wed Jul 29, 2009 6:14 pm
What's a life?

I've never bought anything car related from Halfrauds that I then haven't found cheaper else where. Oil filters, wiper blades, shampoo, wax, oil, batteries. It really is the last resort if there's nothing else available. Maybe it's different for audio. :?
I've certainly stopped visiting their stores unless there really is no alternative.

Charlie Brooker wrote:
Windows works for me. But I'd never recommend it to anybody else, ever.

Wed Jul 29, 2009 6:19 pm

ProfessorF wrote:
I've never bought anything car related from Halfrauds that I then haven't found cheaper else where. Oil filters, wiper blades, shampoo, wax, oil, batteries. It really is the last resort if there's nothing else available. Maybe it's different for audio. :?
I've certainly stopped visiting their stores unless there really is no alternative.

No you're right, but occasionally you can find gems even in the most unlikely of places, at a time they were the cheapest place to buy the sub Manny just bought - yes they're selling it now with a considerable market, but just in the same way there's no harm shopping around (away from the big boys) there's also no harm looking at what they (might) have to offer.

Wed Jul 29, 2009 6:22 pm
Reply to topic   [ 77 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next