Reply to topic  [ 34 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Streaming media players and PVRs 
What's a life?

Okay, to update:

- Got the WD TV Live streaming box. Works fine for youtube but no BBC iplayer app. Need to update firmware. iPhone (roomie IR) app controls the wd tv live.
- plugged in a USB stick with some Family Guy episodes. It played the Xvid files beautifully but stuttered a little on a the smaller MP4 files.
- Got the 213+ NAS. Still not powerful enough to do on-the-fly transcoding (and have started to wish I'd gone for SFF PC) but 3TB space is awesome. Love the hibernation facility. Slowly learning what it can do. It cannot, however, stream to iPhone as advertised.
- Stuck some TBBT episodes on the NAS. Quick and easy to upload to the NAS though I've ordered some USB3 cables to improve transfer from PC to NAS. Was able to play the video via the WD TV box easily but does lag a little when skipping back/forth through the video.

What I need to do is now try ripping some DVDs and Blu-Rays. Is there an optimal file format/coding to use? Want to retain max quality for some of the blu-ray discs. This will be a test of the quality of the setup more than anything.

Wed Jan 16, 2013 5:40 pm
What's a life?

cloaked_wolf wrote:
What I need to do is now try ripping some DVDs and Blu-Rays. Is there an optimal file format/coding to use? Want to retain max quality for some of the blu-ray discs. This will be a test of the quality of the setup more than anything.

Generally speaking, if the ripper software is half well written, you'll get the best throughput it you tell it to output a H264 encoded file. Because that's what the vast majority of BluRays are anyway.

Jon

Wed Jan 16, 2013 7:36 pm
I haven't seen my friends in so long

You should also update the firmware as they often add new features.

Sent from my GT-N7000 using Tapatalk 2

John Vella BSc (Hons), PGCE - Still the official forum prankster and crude remarker :P
Sorry :roll:
I'll behave now.
Promise ;)

Wed Jan 16, 2013 8:41 pm
Profile WWW
What's a life?

Well after a week of playing about with it, I'm impressed. Hooked it up to my NAS and it plays all files without any stutter/hassle. This includes 1080p MKV files.

The only real downside is that I can't use it via HMDI because my TV has only 1 HDMI socket. Currently, that's taken by my PS3. Currently viewing by component.

Sun Jan 20, 2013 5:44 pm
Legend

cloaked_wolf wrote:
Well after a week of playing about with it, I'm impressed. Hooked it up to my NAS and it plays all files without any stutter/hassle. This includes 1080p MKV files.

The only real downside is that I can't use it via HMDI because my TV has only 1 HDMI socket. Currently, that's taken by my PS3. Currently viewing by component.

What happens if you use a splitter?

http://www.moneysavingexpert.com/

Sun Jan 20, 2013 6:08 pm
What's a life?

Don't know. It's something I've looked at, especially since I wouldn't be using the PS3 and WDTV at the same time.

Sun Jan 20, 2013 10:10 pm
Has a life

Late to the party here, but I'm using a Raspberry Pi running RaspBMC. All my media is on an old Dell Windows XP PC stuffed full of hard drives hidden in a cupboard with powerline networking. The Pi is gaffa-taped to the back of the TV.

RaspBMC will play any format I throw at it, and has the benefit of being Airplay compatible for when I want to stream stuff from my MacBook Pro. I operate it from the (slightly rubbish) iPhone remote app.

In the new year I plan to replace the PC with a NAS - quieter and more energy efficient. It'll just be a case of changing the share points in RaspBMC.

Once you get it set up to your requirements, it's bloody great!

Sat Dec 28, 2013 9:24 pm
Site Admin

Resurrecting this topic.

Is the WDTV still the best way forward for putting internet services e.g. BT sport / iplayer and other catchup services, onto a non web enabled TV?

Thoughts?

Sun May 17, 2015 10:55 am
Profile WWW
What's a life?

I've heard good things about the Sky NowTV boxes, which are I think down to about 20 quid and are basically a rebadged Roku box. You don't have to take up a contract when you get one so that isn't an issue.

Sun May 17, 2015 1:56 pm

I just bought a NowTV from ShopTo with 3 months entertainment pass for £15. It's got BBC and other TV catchup plus I've popped Plex on there to stream content from my phone/PC.

Sun May 17, 2015 2:58 pm
Profile WWW
Site Admin

sounds interesting anybody tried google chromecast or the amazon TV stick?

Mon May 18, 2015 7:30 am
Profile WWW

AlunD wrote:
sounds interesting anybody tried google chromecast or the amazon TV stick?

Mum and Dad have a Google Chromecast. It's generally okay but it's mainly used for Dad to stream his latest video 'creation' onto the big screen which may have tainted my impression of it. I don't think their p!ss poor broadband (less than 3meg download) helps matters either.

Mon May 18, 2015 8:51 am

I have a Chromecast too. Have used it to send video from my phone ( also have Bubbleupnp installed ) and its works really well as long as it's in a supportable format - which frequently I give some of the videos aren't. iPlayer works well but I don't think ITV/4OD are supported.

Mon May 18, 2015 8:55 am
Profile WWW
Site Admin

As Chrome and Amazon sticks miss chunks of what I want it ( catch up on all main channels plus access to BT TV ) looks like I could be going with Roku stick.http://www.mediastreamingmarket.com/ having said that so does the NowTV box........http://www.nowtv.com/box :shock:

Mon May 18, 2015 1:41 pm
Profile WWW
Site Admin

The NowTV box is a Roku that's been rebadged. It's not exactly difficult to install your own apps etc on it (if you search in the right places)

I've only ever done it with a chicken so far, but if required I wouldn't have any problems doing it with other animals at all.

Mon May 18, 2015 3:04 pm
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 34 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next