Reply to topic  [ 12 posts ] 
Film directors launch campaign for correct TV settings 
Author Message
What's a life?
User avatar

Joined: Thu Apr 23, 2009 7:27 pm
Posts: 12138
Reply with quote
Image
Quote:
A campaign backed by moviemakers has been launched to make sure films are watched "as the director intended".

The plea comes in response to a poll which found more than half of consumers do not use the most suitable settings on their equipment.

One expert said poorly set-up TVs made images look "more like a soap opera rather than a Hollywood movie".

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-19650769

When I bought my TV, I used a disc of test cards and sequences to get the colours and pictures balanced. It took a while, but the picture is so much nicer than the factory settings give you.

_________________
All the best,
Paul
brataccas wrote:
your posts are just combo chains of funny win

I’m on Twitter, tweeting away... My Photos Random Avatar Explanation


Thu Sep 20, 2012 11:41 am
Profile
Legend
User avatar

Joined: Sun Apr 26, 2009 1:30 pm
Posts: 45544
Location: Belfast
Reply with quote
Most TVs these days have 'decent enough' defaults, and Joe Average don't give a sh1t, so...

_________________
Plain English advice on everything money, purchase and service related:

http://www.moneysavingexpert.com/


Thu Sep 20, 2012 12:41 pm
Profile
Spends far too much time on here
User avatar

Joined: Thu Apr 23, 2009 7:59 pm
Posts: 4931
Location: Sestriere, Piemonte, Italia
Reply with quote
pcernie wrote:
Most TVs these days have 'decent enough' defaults, and Joe Average don't give a sh1t, so...


They do??

I use the THX Optimizer on any THX certified DVD (usually Star Wars). Not sure if they've done a BD version yet.

Directors are right to want it, but I doubt it'll work. They still need to get people to spend money on BDs or actually go to the cinema!


Mon Oct 15, 2012 7:06 pm
Profile
What's a life?
User avatar

Joined: Thu Apr 23, 2009 7:27 pm
Posts: 12138
Reply with quote
I use a BluRay disk called HD basics. It's a series of test cards, coloured filters, some test footage and some narrative to tell you how to use it. Depending on what your TV allows you do do, you can go quite deep.

I spent a lot of time getting the picture on my screen right. You have to look at shadows, and highlights as they can really be screwy with default settings.

I was complimented by a friend on the picture. She said it looks like watching a well balanced photo.

_________________
All the best,
Paul
brataccas wrote:
your posts are just combo chains of funny win

I’m on Twitter, tweeting away... My Photos Random Avatar Explanation


Mon Oct 15, 2012 7:44 pm
Profile
Legend
User avatar

Joined: Sun Apr 26, 2009 1:30 pm
Posts: 45544
Location: Belfast
Reply with quote
okenobi wrote:
pcernie wrote:
Most TVs these days have 'decent enough' defaults, and Joe Average don't give a sh1t, so...


They do??

I use the THX Optimizer on any THX certified DVD (usually Star Wars). Not sure if they've done a BD version yet.

Directors are right to want it, but I doubt it'll work. They still need to get people to spend money on BDs or actually go to the cinema!


Even my cheap-ass LG TV (relatively speaking) has a whole bunch of default settings and a recommendations/roll your own option for setting it up. But I suspect most let it tune itself and never bother tinkering.

_________________
Plain English advice on everything money, purchase and service related:

http://www.moneysavingexpert.com/


Mon Oct 15, 2012 10:33 pm
Profile
I haven't seen my friends in so long
User avatar

Joined: Fri Apr 24, 2009 8:17 am
Posts: 5531
Location: Nottingham
Reply with quote
pcernie wrote:

Even my cheap-ass LG TV (relatively speaking) has a whole bunch of default settings and a recommendations/roll your own option for setting it up. But I suspect most let it tune itself and never bother tinkering.


Don't know if it's on all LG TVs but mine has a pretty good ISF calibration mode.

_________________
Twitter
Blog
flickr


Fri Oct 26, 2012 10:51 am
Profile WWW
I haven't seen my friends in so long
User avatar

Joined: Thu Apr 23, 2009 9:46 pm
Posts: 9884
Reply with quote
paulzolo wrote:
I use a BluRay disk called HD basics.

Where did you buy it from? Seems to have mixed reviews on Amazon.

_________________
Image
He fights for the users.


Fri Oct 26, 2012 1:11 pm
Profile
What's a life?
User avatar

Joined: Thu Apr 23, 2009 7:27 pm
Posts: 12138
Reply with quote
It came from Amazon. It seemed OK for me. The picture I have now is far better than the defaults the TV came with. You have to remember that not everyTV is made the same, and with any calibration process your results will be as good as your TV and your eyes let you. Not all TVs let you drill right down into the picture making process. I think mine has limitations for some of the white and black peak settings, and I had to work to those limitations when calibrating mine.

_________________
All the best,
Paul
brataccas wrote:
your posts are just combo chains of funny win

I’m on Twitter, tweeting away... My Photos Random Avatar Explanation


Fri Oct 26, 2012 1:25 pm
Profile
Legend
User avatar

Joined: Sun Apr 26, 2009 1:30 pm
Posts: 45544
Location: Belfast
Reply with quote
veato wrote:
pcernie wrote:

Even my cheap-ass LG TV (relatively speaking) has a whole bunch of default settings and a recommendations/roll your own option for setting it up. But I suspect most let it tune itself and never bother tinkering.


Don't know if it's on all LG TVs but mine has a pretty good ISF calibration mode.


Yeah, I think you have the bigger version of my TV IIRC :)

_________________
Plain English advice on everything money, purchase and service related:

http://www.moneysavingexpert.com/


Fri Oct 26, 2012 9:27 pm
Profile
Legend
User avatar

Joined: Fri Apr 24, 2009 3:02 am
Posts: 29240
Location: Guantanamo Bay (thanks bobbdobbs)
Reply with quote
Also many people do not have their TV in the optimum location to view anyway. There could be sunlight on the screen at various times of the day.

_________________
Do concentrate, 007...

"You are gifted. Mine is bordering on seven seconds."

https://www.dropbox.com/referrals/NTg5MzczNTk

http://astore.amazon.co.uk/wwwx404couk-21


Sat Oct 27, 2012 1:50 am
Profile
I haven't seen my friends in so long
User avatar

Joined: Thu Apr 23, 2009 9:19 pm
Posts: 5071
Location: Manchester
Reply with quote
My mum and dad have a, chosen by me, 38"(IIRC) Panasonic plasma HD. Straight out of the box it was and still is, the nicest image I've ever seen on any equipment.


Sat Nov 17, 2012 6:38 am
Profile
I haven't seen my friends in so long
User avatar

Joined: Fri Apr 24, 2009 8:55 am
Posts: 7769
Location: Manchester.
Reply with quote
leeds_manc wrote:
My mum and dad have a, chosen by me, 38"(IIRC) Panasonic plasma HD. Straight out of the box it was and still is, the nicest image I've ever seen on any equipment.


If you fiddled with the settings you could probably get it even nicerer, but here's the thing... if the viewer is happy with the display what's the fuss about?

I haven't changed the settings on my TV in the 7 years or so that I've had it. I may have a look at some stage, as it may appear, to the wife, like a "free upgrade" :lol:

_________________
okenobi wrote:
John's hot. No denying it. But he's hardly Karen now, is he ;)

John Vella BSc (Hons), PGCE - Still the official forum prankster and crude remarker :P
Sorry :roll:
I'll behave now.
Promise ;)


Sun Jul 17, 2016 11:56 am
Profile
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Reply to topic   [ 12 posts ] 

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
cron
Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Group
Designed by ST Software.