Reply to topic  [ 25 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2
Plasma TV or Projector? 
Site Admin

JV- buy yourself a copy of Home Cinema Choice clicky.
There's some great TV's for your budget on the market.

Don't forget to check out richer sounds for a bargain once you've got a rough idea (sign up for the vip club on the website for extra discount)

I've only ever done it with a chicken so far, but if required I wouldn't have any problems doing it with other animals at all.

Mon Jul 20, 2009 7:33 am
Profile WWW
Legend

JV, how old's the TV? Haven't you got six years under the Goods Act? :?

http://www.moneysavingexpert.com/

Wed Jul 22, 2009 4:53 pm
I haven't seen my friends in so long

pcernie wrote:

The Sale of Goods Act doesn't specify how long something should last, just that it be "for a reasonable time" - with all relevant factors taken into account e.g. how much it cost at purchase, the environment it was stored in etc.

Wed Jul 22, 2009 9:17 pm
Legend

Linux_User wrote:
pcernie wrote:

The Sale of Goods Act doesn't specify how long something should last, just that it be "for a reasonable time" - with all relevant factors taken into account e.g. how much it cost at purchase, the environment it was stored in etc.

That's what I thought until I got this in my MoneyWeek Saver email today:

Quote:
What is Soga?

Soga – or to give it its full title The Sale of Goods Act 1979 – is the main law that deals with your rights as a consumer. It states that when a consumer buys goods they are entering into a contract with the retailer. What you buy must meet the following criteria: it must be as described; of satisfactory quality; and fit for purpose.

The first of these rights is self-explanatory. Anything you buy should match the description you were given at the point of sale. So if you buy a 1.6 litre car and the one you actually drive home is a 1.2 litre, the seller has not upheld the contract.

Fit for purpose means that what you buy should be fit both for its everyday purpose and “any specific purpose that you agreed with the seller,” says Which?. So if you asked a retailer for a printer that is compatible with your computer, and the one the shop sold you isn’t, then the law has been breached, even if there’s nothing actually wrong with the printer.

The third element – satisfactory quality - is the trickiest. Most people take this to mean that what you buy shouldn’t fall apart within quite a short period of time. But the law actually states that one aspect of satisfactory quality is that the goods are ‘durable’. And this means that for up to six years after purchase – five years in Scotland – consumers have the right to reasonable durability. In practice, this means that goods should be built to last. So if your £1,000 television breaks after three years, don’t just bemoan the shoddy manufacturing and set off to buy a new one - exercise your consumer rights.

And I did seem to recall someone mentioning that on a TV show, but I couldn't say if it's correct for certain :?

I'll post the rest of the email if anyone wants it...

Wed Jul 22, 2009 9:39 pm

Hm, I personally don't think you'd get very far with that.

It's one story if you bought a top-of-the-range Samsung, but quite another if you bought a Technika from Tesco.

Ultimately it's for the Court to decide, but I seriously can't see a Court upholding your Sale of Goods Act rights after 6 years, unless you spent an absolute fortune on the item.

If you tried it after 6 years in a retailer's outlet, they'd laugh you off the premises frankly. I'm studying Trading Standards for my degree, and I have yet to come across such an extreme case.

Wed Jul 22, 2009 9:50 pm
Legend

Haven't got time for my usual round of Googling ;) , but found this:

http://www.guardian.co.uk/money/2006/ma ... tocomplain

Wed Jul 22, 2009 9:59 pm

pcernie wrote:
Haven't got time for my usual round of Googling ;) , but found this:

http://www.guardian.co.uk/money/2006/ma ... tocomplain

Lol I know all of this, it's what I do after all. :lol:

In all seriousness, like I said ultimately it's up to the Court. However, in general the way it works is thus:

If there is a fault upon delivery (ie. the goods do not conform to contract) or up to 6 months after the purchase, then you're entitled to repair/replacement/refund (depending which is most economical) without quibble unless the supplier can prove the goods were fault-free upon delivery.

After 6 months (and up until the 6 year limit) you have the same rights, but YOU the consumer must prove that the goods were faulty upon delivery. The burden of proof has shifted.

Also as discussed, equipment must be of "satisfactory quality" and "last for a reasonable time" (Sale of Goods Act). However, these terms are not defined in the legislation. Thus all relevant factors will be considered by the court when making a decision, including how much the equipment cost when purchased, how it was stored/used etc.

Six years is the absolute maximum that you can try and exercise your rights under the Sale of Goods Act:

BERR Advice

But as I said I have yet to encounter such an extreme case - I shall make enquiries upon my return to the university.

Also on the same web page is this:

BERR wrote:
Q4. I know I can demand my money back within a "reasonable time" but how long is that?

The law does not specify a precise time as it will vary for most sales contracts as all the factors need to be taken into account to be fair to all sides. The pair of everyday shoes may only have a few days before the period expires but a pair of skis, purchased in a Summer Sale, may be allowed a longer period by a court.

Wed Jul 22, 2009 10:24 pm

Hi guys, time for a little update but first to answer the questions.

I bought the TV in December 2006 and paid a little under £2,000 for it. I'm not going to bother trying with the SOGA as it's insured which leads me on to the update...

Got a phone call this morning, to say that the documents have arrived at the insurance company and they'll contact me within 5 working days so watch this space.

John Vella BSc (Hons), PGCE - Still the official forum prankster and crude remarker :P
Sorry :roll:
I'll behave now.
Promise ;)

Fri Jul 24, 2009 9:47 am
Profile WWW

Update time. We got a new telly!

Actually, we got a new telly a couple of weeks ago, but I forgot to update... :oops:

It's a 50" Panasonic Plasma and Mrs. V. is very happy with it.

Thanks for all your help guys.

:)

John Vella BSc (Hons), PGCE - Still the official forum prankster and crude remarker :P
I'll behave now.
Promise ;)

Mon Aug 10, 2009 7:58 am
Profile WWW

Possibly the final update...

I didn't get the telly I mentioned in my last post, I got THIS ONE.

It's still a nice set though. :D

I'll behave now.
Promise ;)

Tue Aug 11, 2009 6:33 am
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 25 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2