Reply to topic  [ 3 posts ] 
Wi-Fi connection with Blu-Ray players 
Doesn't have much of a life

Hi.

I have an inexpensive Blu-Ray player already which is located where I can easily connect a LAN cable. I am, however, looking to buy a new TV set up for another room where installing a LAN cable is a less attractive option.

Both my current Sony player and prospective purchase require a manufacturer-specific Wi-Fi adaptor, but- call me stupid if you like- won't an ordinary wireless access point work if I set it up on a PC?

I have two spare 802.11b WAPs and I recall that when I used one of them it was simply a matter of telling the firmware to receive the IP address from the router via the wireless (or something similar) and away I went.

If set up the WAP and connect it to a player using a LAN cable, surely all the player will see is a LAN connection and have no idea that it is connected via a third-party WAP.

My lowest spec operational system- AT desktop case, 200W AT PSU, Jetway TX98B Socket 7, Intel Pentium 75Mhz, 2x16MB EDO RAM, 270MB Quantum Maverick HDD, ATI Rage II+ graphics, Soundblaster 16 CT2230, MS-DOS/Win 3.11

My Flickr

Sat Dec 03, 2011 8:36 am
I haven't seen my friends in so long

Provided it does have a "client" mode in addition to the usual WAP mode then yes. You can get devices specifically for the job:

http://www.ebuyer.com/318839-trendnet-3 ... -tew-647ga

When you're feeling too silly for x404, youRwired.net

Sat Dec 03, 2011 5:52 pm
Profile WWW
Doesn't have much of a life

Thanks for that.

I remember now that with the WAP configured as a bridge, it could be used to connect even a single PC so I didn't see that it would be a problem with a Blu-Ray device or TV.

My lowest spec operational system- AT desktop case, 200W AT PSU, Jetway TX98B Socket 7, Intel Pentium 75Mhz, 2x16MB EDO RAM, 270MB Quantum Maverick HDD, ATI Rage II+ graphics, Soundblaster 16 CT2230, MS-DOS/Win 3.11

My Flickr

Sat Dec 03, 2011 10:39 pm
Reply to topic   [ 3 posts ]