Reply to topic  [ 22 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
Car audio 
Spends far too much time on here

I bought a car at auction yesterday and she's a real gem.

The only things wrong are the exhaust which needs replacing, and the radio which only gets enough reception to irritate the hell out of anyone in the car! :lol:

The car has a screw in arial on the roof, which I've taken out cleaned up a bit and screwed back in again. Zero effect. :D

I'm a car n00b so what can I do next? Is it more likely to be a connection at the back of the tape/radio unit itself, or a dud arial? I don't like the idea of digging out the radio to be honest, but I think it's probably going to be necessary.

Wed Jun 24, 2009 2:14 pm
Site Admin

The radio will be easy to remove.
It could be the cable between the aerial & the radio though, which can be a biatch to replace.

I've only ever done it with a chicken so far, but if required I wouldn't have any problems doing it with other animals at all.

Wed Jun 24, 2009 2:24 pm
Profile WWW

Do you know of anywhere with guides for Peugeots?

I've been searching but most forum threads on the subject seem to just say "its in the haynes". There are a few which go throw some details of removing dials, unscrewing the whole front plate and then using brute force. :?

I was really hoping to find some sort of step by step fool-proof guide like you get at ifixit.com for computers.

Wed Jun 24, 2009 2:30 pm
Site Admin

What pug is it?

I've only ever done it with a chicken so far, but if required I wouldn't have any problems doing it with other animals at all.

Wed Jun 24, 2009 2:47 pm
Profile WWW

It's a 1995 106. It seems that if the stereo has a hole on each side then it's really easy - just slide something in each hole and pull. Mine doesn't have any holes on it though, so I'm assuming that's on the older models.

It's odd though, I found a site dedicated to 106's where they were talking about removing stereos and some people with an older car than mine had a stereo with two holes on it, these really do seem nice and simple. Others literally ripped their stereos out, but I don't want to replace the stereo - just get it fixed!

A few used kitchen knifes, one down each side to pull it out, which I have tried, but I lost my nerve. I was giving it some real force but it wasn't budging at all. Some people also seem to think that this method will damage the bracket clips so it won't go back in correctly.

:?

Wed Jun 24, 2009 3:40 pm

Pretty much every head unit I've ever played with had clips at each side. Some use a "special" key at either side to disengage the clips. You can usually replicate this with knives of some sort.

As for the reception. Some factory HUs have aerial amps in them - can't remember about Peugeot. Could be that by having a replacement HU, you're missing out on that amp. Some have amps in the aerial itself and like Sas says, could be the cable.

Wed Jun 24, 2009 7:03 pm

Quote:
Pretty much every head unit I've ever played with had clips at each side.

I've found this image on the net which backs this up:

Even with the knowledge of roughly where to apply pressure etc the knives still aren't doing the trick (although I can feel the clips disengaging). A friend of mine just gave me a little tip, using crochet needles (apparently they have a little hook on the end) apparently works a treat by hooking in behind the clips and pulling. The knives just tend to slip off, so hopefully something like that with a hook will get some grip.

Quote:
Some factory HUs have aerial amps in them - can't remember about Peugeot. Could be that by having a replacement HU, you're missing out on that amp.

Well money is a bit tight at the moment, so I'd rather not replace the unit right now although I'd like to at some point.

Interesting point about the arial amp. I'll take a look around the net to try and find-out if it has an amp or not. Would it be in the handbook???

If it turns out that it's the arial amp then I'll get one down the breakers - I've got to go and get a wing mirror soon anyway. :)

Wed Jun 24, 2009 8:34 pm
Doesn't have much of a life

Location: 3959 miles from the centre of the Earth - give or take a bit
I remember back in the dim and distant past I had a Ford Orion that had the radio aerial integrated into the rear window heater element. The reception was so bad I diconnected it and fitted a normal aerial into the bodwork next to the boot lid. I didn't realise at the time that if I left the aerial up it was hit by the boot spoiler every time I opened the boot. Did improve the reception though - shame the same couldn't be said about the stuff on the radio at the time.

I think you can get access to the aerial by removing the courtesy light. There's a cover over the securing nut which simply pulls off. Undo the nut, remove the aerial cable and you can remove the aerial base. You should be able to inspect all the bits to see if there are any obvious problems (e.g. corrosinon).

Wed Jun 24, 2009 8:36 pm
Site Admin

Unclip the plastic stereo surround bit then cut the bent corner bits off a wire coat hanger and shove them down (or buy the tool from Halfrauds).

I've got a 106 how to guide somewhere if you want it.

Wed Jun 24, 2009 8:45 pm
Profile WWW

saspro wrote:
Unclip the plastic stereo surround bit then cut the bent corner bits off a wire coat hanger and shove them down (or buy the tool from Halfrauds).

Oooh excellent! PM sent. :)

@dogbert10:

My arial is ontop of the car at the front so I think it's a different set-up. Hopefully it won't come to replacing the cable as that sounds like a right chore - I'll keep my fingers crossed. :)

Wed Jun 24, 2009 8:58 pm
What's a life?

What?
Really?
This many posts and nobody commenting about French cars and electrics?
:shock:

Glad to hear you're pleased with it. Nothing to add really. Happy motoring.

Charlie Brooker wrote:
Windows works for me. But I'd never recommend it to anybody else, ever.

Wed Jun 24, 2009 9:04 pm

ProfessorF wrote:
This many posts and nobody commenting about French cars and electrics?

Haha, very true. I suppose I'm just lucky that it's only the radio. Having purchased at auction, it could have been anything!!

Quote:
Glad to hear you're pleased with it. Nothing to add really. Happy motoring.

Thanks. :) It's my first car and so far I'm very pleased so far. MOT next month though. ;)

Wed Jun 24, 2009 9:12 pm
Doesn't have much of a life

Location: 3959 miles from the centre of the Earth - give or take a bit
Nick wrote:
saspro wrote:

Oooh excellent! PM sent. :)

@dogbert10:

My arial is ontop of the car at the front so I think it's a different set-up. Hopefully it won't come to replacing the cable as that sounds like a right chore - I'll keep my fingers crossed. :)

Are you certain there's no light inside the car under where the aerial is? I thought all 106's had the aerial at the front of the roof?

Having said that, it is French, so if you threaten it with physical violence it'll probably surrendder.

Fri Jun 26, 2009 12:58 pm

Yes, you are right about the light.

I'll check that out if removing the head unit doesn't show up any obvious problems.

:)

Fri Jun 26, 2009 3:55 pm

Also, as some-what of a side issue, would connecting the arial cable to a grounding point work to receive a signal? Grounding points are just exposed metal on the body-work right? I'm thinking that might pick up a good enough reception?

I think my car might look better without an arial on it. :)

Fri Jun 26, 2009 4:01 pm
Reply to topic   [ 22 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next