Reply to topic  [ 10 posts ] 
Hi fi and tings 
I haven't seen my friends in so long

Me again. :D

Now I need to get hold of a budget hifi and fancy hooking up the TV via the optical output (that's all it has AFAIK) so I can have surround sound for the TV and PS3. Now, I've not bought a hifi or separates for years and a quick look around for 5.1 systems just throws up DVD or Bluray sets.

Is that how it is nowadays? You don't have a CD player you just play them in your DVD or Bluray drives?

:? :D

Sun May 08, 2011 4:15 pm
Spends far too much time on here

Given you've used the word 'budget', there's nothing to be gained from having a dedicated CD player instead of a DVD player and using it for CDs.

Sun May 08, 2011 6:06 pm
Profile WWW

jonlumb wrote:
Given you've used the word 'budget', there's nothing to be gained from having a dedicated CD player instead of a DVD player and using it for CDs.

Makes sense.

Hm, reminds me I still have a separate amp in the loft somewhere I bought in the 90's. Don't thing optical inputs were even invented back then though. :D

Sun May 08, 2011 7:13 pm

Landlady at my current place was chucking out a Denon multi CD player, it's missing the cd cassette and a button on the front (and remote, but a logitech harmony should work)

May or may not work, will need to check the input/output options to see if it's good but if you want it you can have it (assuming my dad hasnt fixed it and found a use since I left it at his lol)

Sun May 08, 2011 11:33 pm

finlay666 wrote:
Landlady at my current place was chucking out a Denon multi CD player, it's missing the cd cassette and a button on the front (and remote, but a logitech harmony should work)

May or may not work, will need to check the input/output options to see if it's good but if you want it you can have it (assuming my dad hasnt fixed it and found a use since I left it at his lol)

Cheers Fin, I wouldn't usually look a gift horse in the mouth but seeing as it'll be in the living room I don't think I'll get second hand stuff that I may need to fix up a little past the GF. :lol:

Thanks for the thought though, it is appreciated.

Mon May 09, 2011 7:22 am
Site Admin

How budget is budget?

http://www.richersounds.com/information ... emasystems has a few not too bad packages.

I've only ever done it with a chicken so far, but if required I wouldn't have any problems doing it with other animals at all.

Mon May 09, 2011 11:23 am
Profile WWW

I got the boston soundwave's from the RS on Clayton Street and they really do not dissapoint for a 'budget' setup (even comes with brackets for stands/wall mounts)

Now to get enough speaker cable to hook up the surround sound (got flat stuff from Belkin which isn't up to the job as it's too rigid for the connections)

Mon May 09, 2011 12:39 pm

saspro wrote:
How budget is budget?

http://www.richersounds.com/information ... emasystems has a few not too bad packages.

Thanks for the link saspro. Budget, not really decided yet but I like bang for buck :)

Trouble is bluray kits, hm, I think I may as well save money and go the DVD kit route as I have a PS3 for bluray. Depends, if there's not much difference then a bluray set wouldn't be out of the question. I only need a digital radio and cd player really will surround sound via an optical input from the TV.

finlay666 wrote:
I got the boston soundwave's from the RS on Clayton Street and they really do not dissapoint for a 'budget' setup (even comes with brackets for stands/wall mounts)

Now to get enough speaker cable to hook up the surround sound (got flat stuff from Belkin which isn't up to the job as it's too rigid for the connections)

Off Westgate Rd? TBH I so much of my shopping online that I didn't even realise we had a RS down there. :lol:

Aye, cable, will need a fair bit although I reckon the longest I'll need is 9 or 10 metres to get one of the speakers in the far corner.

Thanks lads, I'll give those a looksee.

Mon May 09, 2011 1:49 pm

adidan wrote:
Off Westgate Rd? TBH I so much of my shopping online that I didn't even realise we had a RS down there. :lol:

Aye, cable, will need a fair bit although I reckon the longest I'll need is 9 or 10 metres to get one of the speakers in the far corner.

Thanks lads, I'll give those a looksee.

The very same one, it's a bit of a bugger to get parked near but best to go in the evening when its quiet if you need a car there

If you don't need the blu ray/dvd I'd just get an AV receiver + speakers, it's the route I went down (need to upgrade at some point as I have run out of HDMI inputs)

If you need some speakers to tide you over I have a pair of http://www.richersounds.com/product/boo ... a-ar10-blk you could borrow which aren't in use now I have the XS's hooked up, that way you could get a better receiver now and get the speaker set later ;)

The Canton 80's get great reviews for 5.1 speakers too, £150 for the set and Clayton Street has a set according to the site

Mon May 09, 2011 2:01 pm

finlay666 wrote:
If you don't need the blu ray/dvd I'd just get an AV receiver + speakers, it's the route I went down (need to upgrade at some point as I have run out of HDMI inputs)

Aye, looks like I may be heading that route.

finlay666 wrote:
If you need some speakers to tide you over I have a pair of http://www.richersounds.com/product/boo ... a-ar10-blk you could borrow which aren't in use now I have the XS's hooked up, that way you could get a better receiver now and get the speaker set later ;)

The Canton 80's get great reviews for 5.1 speakers too, £150 for the set and Clayton Street has a set according to the site

Cheers mate, appreciate it, I'll give you a shout if I need to take you up on the offer, although I think this process is going to be quite slow in motion. :lol:

I just have to sit down and seriously think about what kit I actually need and what inputs I need both now and maybe in the future. Now the HD TV is here we're having to sort out some sort of cabinet to sit in the corner (underneath the stairs) which is tricky enough in itself as the TV need to be 55/60cm off the ground. It being in the corner then means I have to think about speaker placement for any AV stuff I get to live in it...

Looks like it'll be an AV receiver with DAB and an optical input for the TV at the mo. Then perhaps just a CD separate.

Thanks, this is helping to unscramble the ideas in my head. A bit. :)

Edit: Either that or something as simple as this clicky that has 1 optical input, DAB and the DVD can be the CD player. Edit, edit: Hm, don't think it's DAB actually, just bog standard FM.

I have difficulty finding middle ground, it's either budget that does the job or a whole raft of separates. :)

Edit: I'm just filling my mind now. Ideally I would get a mini hi-fi but none of the bloody things have an optical input as far as I can tell. Seeing as my TV only outputs via optical that's a bit of a problem. :evil:

Mon May 09, 2011 2:20 pm
Reply to topic   [ 10 posts ]