Reply to topic  [ 26 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2
Thoughts on this TV? 
I haven't seen my friends in so long

I can probably get beer for not much over £2 a pint in the cheapest places around here, but I've paid well over £5 in London pubs.

When you're feeling too silly for x404, youRwired.net

Sat Jan 01, 2011 3:45 pm
Profile WWW

JJW009 wrote:
I can probably get beer for not much over £2 a pint in the cheapest places around here, but I've paid well over £5 in London pubs.

Ah yes. Rip-off County.

£5 though? Wow. I knew there was a reason I avoid London.

Sat Jan 01, 2011 3:56 pm
Legend

I'm not a big drinker myself, but I could have sworn someone said the average pint was about £3 here in NI :|

http://www.moneysavingexpert.com/

Sat Jan 01, 2011 9:20 pm

OK back on topic. I've found 2 HUGE BLOODY ANNOYING problems with this TV...

I'm connected by a fully HDCP compliant HDMI path, as required for the reproduction of copyright HD material.

My old TV was connected via a non-HDCP DVI interface so I could only ever play HD that wasn't copyright; ie pirated stuff.

I'm experiencing a ~20mS lag on the video. I imagine it's down to video processing time. It means playing games is a nightmare. For example, my DDR average on songs I usually score A or AA on has dropped to a C or a D. Charmy is mostly "not satisfied"...

It also doesn't handle video mode changes well. Although it will display most video modes, it requires 10 minutes fiddling with the remote control to make them actually fit the screen! Many games I have do not support the native resolution, and those that repeatedly switch mode are virtually unplayable.

My old TV had no lag, and just displayed whatever I gave it at full screen with no messing about...

Does anyone have any good tricks?? I generally love this TV, but I'm probably going to put a brick through it if I can't fix this problem. It's very very annoying.

There's still time to send it back and get the Sony instead, but is that any better when used on a PC over HDMI in non-native graphics modes with lag-critical games?

Sun Jan 02, 2011 2:08 am
Profile WWW
Spends far too much time on here

although not really a fix for the TV issue, some rhythm-based games (im going from Guitar Hero, but DDR might have the same) have an option to compensate for screen or audio lag. might be worth having a root around in the settings menu.

Sun Jan 02, 2011 4:57 am

soddit112 wrote:
although not really a fix for the TV issue, some rhythm-based games (im going from Guitar Hero, but DDR might have the same) have an option to compensate for screen or audio lag. might be worth having a root around in the settings menu.

You're right, I'm sure there is. I guess I can probably live with that if I can calibrate right, and it seems the TV remembers the settings for each video mode so it's actually not as annoying now!

Sun Jan 02, 2011 12:46 pm
Profile WWW
Site Admin

JJW009 wrote:

It also doesn't handle video mode changes well. Although it will display most video modes, it requires 10 minutes fiddling with the remote control to make them actually fit the screen! Many games I have do not support the native resolution, and those that repeatedly switch mode are virtually unplayable.

My old TV had no lag, and just displayed whatever I gave it at full screen with no messing about...

Does anyone have any good tricks?? I generally love this TV, but I'm probably going to put a brick through it if I can't fix this problem. It's very very annoying.

There's still time to send it back and get the Sony instead, but is that any better when used on a PC over HDMI in non-native graphics modes with lag-critical games?

Is scaling on or off?

For PC stuff you may want to set the PC to do the scaling and not the TV

I've only ever done it with a chicken so far, but if required I wouldn't have any problems doing it with other animals at all.

Mon Jan 03, 2011 12:18 pm
Profile WWW

saspro wrote:
Is scaling on or off?

For the desktop at native resolution, I've set the TV to "scan only" which is non-scaling. I can then adjust stuff on the computer, but I don't have to.

However, for non-native resolutions when a game is in full screen mode I have no control over the PC. I have to set the TV to do the scaling.

Mon Jan 03, 2011 1:24 pm
Profile WWW
Site Admin

JJW009 wrote:
saspro wrote:
Is scaling on or off?

For the desktop at native resolution, I've set the TV to "scan only" which is non-scaling. I can then adjust stuff on the computer, but I don't have to.

However, for non-native resolutions when a game is in full screen mode I have no control over the PC. I have to set the TV to do the scaling.

If you go into the control panel of your gfx card you can tell the card to do the scaling for you.

Failing that you could check out the widescreen gaming forums for details of how to set your games to the correct resolution for the TV

I've only ever done it with a chicken so far, but if required I wouldn't have any problems doing it with other animals at all.

Mon Jan 03, 2011 1:56 pm
Profile WWW
Spends far too much time on here

saspro wrote:
JJW009 wrote:
saspro wrote:
Is scaling on or off?

If you go into the control panel of your gfx card you can tell the card to do the scaling for you.

Failing that you could check out the widescreen gaming forums for details of how to set your games to the correct resolution for the TV

scaling is often broken on Nvidia graphics cards, so he could be out of luck there :(

good call on the WSGF though, but they dont seem to have an entry for DDR :cry:

Mon Jan 03, 2011 2:43 pm

soddit112 wrote:
good call on the WSGF though, but they dont seem to have an entry for DDR :cry:

Actually,

http://www.widescreengamingforum.com/wiki/StepMania

That's the one I use :D

Unfortunately, I play an early version which supports additional plugins banned on the current version due to copyright claims. There is no 1080 option, and to be honest I doubt if my Atom 230 could handle it if there was! :lol:

Mon Jan 03, 2011 3:07 pm
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 26 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2