Reply to topic  [ 3 posts ] 
What 5.1 Amp? 
Doesn't have much of a life

Seeing as my 5.1 Yamaha amp blew a couple of months ago (At a very eventful party - someone decided that 5.1 would be louder than the standard 2.1 and the resulting volume blew the rear and centre channels, speakers are fine) i've decided to get another amp, as my speakers are sitting there redundant.

Anyone have any suggestions? I've tried to get pretty much the same amp on fleabay but I keep getting sniped.

My budget is less than £100..

Sat Apr 25, 2009 10:36 am
Profile WWW

£100 isn't a lot to go on, even in the 2nd hand world - in my honest opinion you'd be better off spending the money on a 2 channel amp - you will "lose" the surround channels - but you will get more for your money with regards sq.

However, if you're set on replacing like for like, I have stolen some adverts from avforum's classifieds (which you might not be able to see) to give you an idea of what's out there for £30-70 more... some very nice amps here:

http://www.avforums.com/forums/amplifie ... ost9363905
961 wrote:
Sony STRA-DA1200 in silver
Spec at STR-DA1200ES (STRDA1200ES) : Home Cinema and Hifi : Sony
Excellent condition, boxed, with manual, remote, auto set-up microphone
Reason for sale:- upgrading
£140 plus insured delivery (probably about £20) or collect from Berwick upon Tweed

http://www.avforums.com/forums/amplifie ... 1-amp.html
ResidentDeagle wrote:
hiya guys i have a denon avr 2805 for sale,
im after £130 collected, or £140 inc its comes unboxed but comes with the yellow pages sized manual,mic and fm aerial.
absolutley stunning amp ive used it mainly for my ps3 and xbox 360 via optical for blu rays and games.
before you ask, it doesnt have hdmi inputs however has 3 component and doesnt decode HD audio but does 6.1 dts-es and DD ex
theres 2 slight probs with it the overall unit is in MINT condition apart from, one of the feet has snapped off its been like that since ive had it. however you can put it under where it would go and be none the wiser as its totally unoticable.
the red and white inputs on the back dont work........ again that has been like that since ive had it, im not sure if its me being a total beginner at amps but i never bothered trying to play about with it as i used optical.
all the inputs apart from the red and white ones work fine.
ill upload some images tomorrow. i have some pics in my signature under "my setup"
i accept Bank transfer or Cash on collection.
cheers for looking
open for trades also: things like, anything home cinema, a big bundle of xbox 360 games, pc parts etc etc anything interesting!

http://www.avforums.com/forums/amplifie ... eiver.html
Quaker wrote:
Price reduction
Is anybody interested in this receiver at £150?
If so please let me know before I have to go to an auction site
Thanks

I am selling my Arcam AVR 200.
Sale is due to downsizing and going back to a stereo set up.
Old but still high quality and in excellent condition.
It comes with an Arcam CR80 universal remote control.
I would much prefer it to be collected rather than send it through the postal service. It can be collected from Stockport or Manchester. I also visit Llandudno and Enfield fairly frequently so could arrange for it to be collected from these locations too.
I am looking for £170 for the receiver.
I can post it if necessary and I guess that postage is going to be around an additional £25 and I will send it to UK addresses at that price.

Sat Apr 25, 2009 12:17 pm

Well I took the plunge and got a Yamaha DSP-E492, which is the exact same as my old one! Not bad at £85 delivered, but I think it was worth it. I also got two floorstanding Beng speakers cheap off ebay - I figured why the hell not - and am very pleasantly surprised. They might not be the loudest speakers in the world, but the range on them is excellent with both speakers having built in subwoofer speakers (obviously not connected to sub output though, just there for some extra bass).

What is annoying is that my centre speaker also died at the party and that cost more than the amp. Errors. Saved by the Beng speakers though, as I was able to rig up one of my old L/R speakers as the new centre channel. The sound quality is excellent now, and i'm just getting used to the difference between streamed media and local media as i'm streaming from the ol' 360. It does mean that I have to use a pair of boring "standard" rear channel speakers instead of using my old L/R floorstanders, but I can't really justify spending another £100 to replace just one speaker. And I now effectively have a 4.1 amp spare (centre channel blown, but will output to the 4 speakers using Dolby switched off and "phantom" centre-speaker settings) so I guess that's another one for the PC.

You guys seem to acquire hardware like that?

Sat May 02, 2009 5:19 pm
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 3 posts ]